X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the team:
We are a team working to rapidly decarbonize the electric grid. Our mission is to help create a shared understanding of what is happening on the grid for everyone who is involved in building, managing and using it. Learn more about Tapestry here.
The team is multi-disciplinary, bringing together expertise in machine learning, computer vision, and geospatial analysis. What unites us is a drive for impact and willingness to look ridiculous. We celebrate spectacular failures.
About the role:
You will be the Technical Lead / Manager who will manage and motivate a team of Software and Machine Learning Engineers to work collaboratively on developing and deploying ML driven solutions. You’ll work cross-functionally with other SWE leads, Product Management, and operational teams. Our team is small, scrappy and constantly evolving, as such, you should enjoy contributing high impact code and guiding and mentoring others.
This is an incredibly dynamic role and requires high interdisciplinary communication, organization, and planning. The ideal candidate is a self-starter and has a track record of effectively operating in a dynamic loosely-structured environment (e.g. startup, new product within Google). You should be comfortable with uncertainty and constantly figuring out what to do next. If you like to know exactly what you’ll be working on tomorrow/next quarter, it’s probably not for you. If you flourish in creative chaos and can gently introduce a bit of rigor but not too much to kill the spirit of innovation, if you are motivated by making the world a better place through technology, and want to be part of an inclusive team with diverse mindsets and backgrounds that makes this happen - then this might just be the role for you.
How you’ll make 10X impact:
- Be an active engineer and technical lead on the project. You must be willing to get your hands dirty!
- Own the technical roadmap for software, ML and controls and drive the team to meet the milestones. Balance longevity and broad exploration with rapid prototyping and execution.
- Drive key decisions on software architecture. Produce technical and design documents. Lead design reviews and provide feedback to the team members.
- Collaborate cross-functionally to drive the vision behind Machine Learning solutions and infrastructure
- Assess and scope technical feasibility of possible new products, prototypes, and research explorations
- Work with internal and external partners to scope and execute data collection and testing as needed
- Provide mentorship to the team members
- Provide a sounding board of advice, assumption questioning, and puns to the project lead and other senior team members.
What you should have:
Having as many of these specific qualifications is a plus, but transferable skills/experiences from other adjacent domains may be equally valuable, we care more about who you are than what you’ve done.
- Passion for impact, drive to help us achieve it and enough objectivity to tell us what’s not possible
- Technical leadership experience of successfully building and scaling teams and large scale software systems. Experience of launching products interfacing multiple crossfunctions.
- A visionary and audacious streak - we’d rather explore high-risk, high-reward ideas than build a functional, yet incremental, platform.
- 5 years of technical leadership experience (TL/TLM) in algorithm development (AI/ML/Computer Vision), software engineering, sourcing and processing data to production pipelines and full ML product lifecycle - exploration to productization
- Strong leadership skills, including written and verbal communication skills
It’d be great if you also had these:
- Experience with Google ML/AI tools
- Experience with, exposure to, or interest in Power Systems, HW/SW integration, Geospatial data are nice-to-have
TThe US base salary range for this full-time position is $174,000 - $276,000 + bonus + equity + benefits. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your location during the hiring process.
Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.