X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the team:
X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory where uncomfortably ambitious, world-changing ideas are developed and taken out into the world. X projects have the potential to transform the lives of billions of people and make the world a radically better place. For X to be successful, we have to repeatedly turn breakthrough technology ideas into products that solve large problems in the world, and create meaningful businesses for Alphabet.
The Pathfinder team is building a new portfolio of moonshots and trying to be an experimental microcosm of X. Like other teams at X, we are trying to spot new waves -- technology, industry or society-level waves that are still far out, 10 years out -- and represent opportunities for moonshot breakthroughs. We embody X’s values. Pathfinder projects are global, inclusive, passionate, and fearless and we push the boundaries so we don’t become overly comfortable doing things a certain way just because we’ve always done them that way.
About the role:
The position seeks motivated project leaders that enjoy working in a small, interdisciplinary team environment, have a growth mindset, a passion for problem-solving directed at achieving meaningful breakthroughs in technology, and are comfortable with uncertainty and exploration.
As a Moonshot Pathfinder, you will explore new ideas to build world-changing moonshots, rapidly learn through technical and commercial experiments, and dispassionately assess whether it is time to kill your own moonshot. You will help X continuously improve by running experiments on the Moonshot Factory itself so we are not overly accepting of approaches that are good but not great. This role will partner across X with engineers, designers, strategy, business development, finance, and legal to learn and drive impact. You will deeply embody X’s values (audacity, initiative, learning, teamwork, creativity) and take pride in building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive culture and team.
How you will make 10x impact:
- Generate and de-risk project ideas
- Generate moonshot scale ideas from external and internal sources
- Craft the strategic vision and learning plan to de-risk the technical, commercial, and product aspects of the idea
- Partner with resources across X to execute on the learning plan
- Dispassionately assess ideas to recommend kill or accelerate decisions
- Continuously improve the Moonshot Factory through learning experiments
- Partner closely with X Leadership to design and run experiments to improve X overall
- Work across X to learn from fellow Xers, gather feedback, and recommend actions after experiments
- Embody X’s values, bringing a diverse, inclusive perspective to everything you do
- Build and nurture equitable, diverse, inclusive culture and team in order to drive extraordinary results
- Act as a beacon of the X culture and hold yourself and others accountable in order to realize radical solutions
- Be audacious, take initiative, and creative while remaining humble and supportive of teammates
What you should have:
- Advanced Degree or equivalent practical experience
- 8+ years experience in a strategic or operation type role
- Designer, Technologist, Inventor, and Entrepreneur mindset
- Demonstrated ability to navigate complex organizations and advance the decision-making processes for new technology
- Experience managing cross-functional internal stakeholders and building senior level partner relationships
- Strong project management and organizational skills
- Solid written and verbal technical communication skills
It’d be great if you also had these:
- Previously held position as Founder/CEO/Advisor/investor
- Discovered / implemented moonshot breakthroughs
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $153,000 - $242,000 + bonus + equity + benefits. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your location during the hiring process.
Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.