X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
The Foundation of an Amazing Journey:
Our goal at X is to make the world a radically better place. In order to do that we seek fresh unexpected perspectives, from different fields, and that’s why we’re excited about you.
Life here isn’t easy, but it’s fun. We’re trying to build things most people can’t even imagine, and we’re doing it with the hope of making a huge, positive impact on the world. You’ll be embedded into a moonshot project, where you’ll partner with team members to solve key challenges.
This isn’t your ordinary program. You’ll be positively challenged and pushed professionally, in ways that you may have never experienced. If this excites you - keep reading.
During your Residency Program:
- To be placed on one of our confidential X projects
- To get paid competitively and with Google benefits
- To be part of a lively community of other Interns and Residents
- To attend colloquium and discussions with team leads from across Google, DeepMind and external organizations
- Location: X's headquarters in Mountain View, CA
- Start Date(s): Year-round rolling basis
- Duration: 1 yr program based on project team needs and your availability at startup
We are exploring automated design for electromagnetic devices. This capability could enable applications ranging from integrated photonics to metasurfaces, and requires technical developments in ultra-large-scale simulators, novel optimization schemes, and prototyping/fabrication capabilities. This effort is focused on inventing fundamentally new technologies with the ambition of bringing disruptive solutions to market.
This role is a 12 months product-focused business strategy role to help a project de-risk a moonshot involving design automation. The day-to-day aspects of the role will involve understanding and evaluating a new technology, researching and interviewing potential customers, estimating market size, building economic models, and reporting results to project leadership. The position seeks motivated individuals that enjoy working in a small, interdisciplinary team environment, have a growth mindset, a passion for problem-solving directed at achieving meaningful breakthroughs in technology, and are comfortable with uncertainty and exploration.
- Lead market sizing, competitive and regulatory analyses, and value chain mapping for potential project applications where markets, competitors, and/or regulations may or may not exist
- Help identify key risks where project could fail, and ways to stress-test them as quickly as possible by speaking to potential external partners
- Develop project business and economic models. X projects aim to become profitable businesses at scale, so this matters
- Present findings to project leadership to guide strategy and investment for projects
- Work cross functionally to de-risk other non-technical aspects of projects
- Current Graduate or PhD student (MBA or other business degree)
- Very strong strategy and analytical skills. Ability to gather and analyze large quantities of information, and turn them into insightful business recommendations. Good at problem stating and problem solving, and turning ambiguous problem spaces into radical solutions. Must be able to break down problems independently
- Can do and humble attitude, willing to learn new tools and content to become an effective thought partner with project team
- Excellent communication and presentation skills (writing strategy docs, writing and delivering presentations), can liaise with senior external partners with ease
- Motivated by making the world a better place through technology, and wanting to be part of a team that makes this happen
It would also be great if you had:
- Degree in a science or engineering field
- Previous experience at a top tier strategy consulting firm
- Business experience on topics directly or tangentially related to semiconductors, integrated photonics, or similar
- Financial modeling experience
- Thrive on ambiguity, setting own goals and effectively delivering to them in a very fast-changing environment
- Ability to influence without authority, working with technical and cross-functional teams who do not report into this role to get things done.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.