X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.About the team Moonshot run on rocket fuel. Sometimes that rocket fuel includes making the most of all that Alphabet has to offer and not reinventing the wheel. Other times it might mean intentionally breaking the mold and tapping into novel tools only available outside the Alphabet ecosystem. You will be joining a new team at X serving projects and Bets as they make decisions regarding technical infrastructure, developer workflows, and business systems. About the role As a Software Engineer on the team, you will be working amongst a small team to chart new courses for how and where software is developed, tested, and deployed at X. This work is likely to include work with projects/Bets that are actively migrating, early-to-mid stage projects considering hybrid architectures, and developing out-of-the-box solutions for new projects.
How you will make 10X Impact:
- Architect, design, build, and document cloud-based software solutions, often in the context of migrating from Google core infrastructure to Google Cloud Platform (GCP). Your work will potentially touch all layers (API design, production deployment, monitoring & troubleshooting, compute performance evaluation, and scaling) and will entail designing solutions that will need to adapt to changing use cases, so the ability to build extensible and maintainable software is key.
- Work effectively across stakeholder groups to identify solutions that scale (e.g., project team, Google product teams, security, privacy).
- Educate teams on cloud trade-offs, cloud-specific challenges and spread knowledge of cloud tech. This includes job scheduling & orchestration, experience developing with containers & microservices, exposure to infrastructure like Kubernetes.
- Work with Google product teams on features and capabilities that would be of benefit to X projects and Bets.
- BS/MS in CS, or equivalent practical experience.
- Ability to work in a small team and help multiple project teams.
- A fast learner and strong coding skills (preferably in multiple languages, but Python is a must); a strong commitment to code quality.
- Hands-on cloud experience. What’s important is that you’ve built cloud services before.
- Experience with collaborative software development and software engineering best practices.
It would also be great if you had:
- Experience with GCP deployments, including frequently-used tools and systems such as Cloud Spanner, Vertex AI, TensorFlow, Dataflow, and Google Kubernetes Engine (GKE)
- Experience with Google infrastructure systems and tools such as Borg, Flume, CNS, Stubby, and Blaze
- Experience establishing and/or improving dev tooling for R&D and production-oriented teams
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.