X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
We are a team of computational and experimental scientists working on a moonshot idea in the life sciences.
We’re looking for an experimental scientist with a background in biochemistry or similar. If you are excited about making a difference in this space, we’d love to talk with you.
How you will make 10x Impact:
- Explore and develop novel biochemical assays and technologies from proof of concept through verification
- Be hands-on at the bench in assay implementation with the team of scientists and RAs
- Validate and establish assays inhouse, measure and improve variability in data
- Maintain experimental records, perform data analysis and generate summaries for internal and external meetings
- Resolve experimental problems using the knowledge of implementing assays in-house and by evaluating data
- Stay current on relevant publications and participate in discussions with team members
- Mentor junior team members on the issues that come with working at the bench
What you should have:
- PhD in biochemistry, chemical biology, pharmaceutical chemistry, cell biology (with focus on reaction pathways), or associated field
- 3 years of industry experience or Post Doc experience
- Hands-on experience with in vitro biochemical and diagnostic assays
- Strong background in assay innovation and optimization
- Have quantitative experience in analyzing the statistics of assays - for example in dealing with drug candidate identification in plate based or higher throughput assays
It’d be great if you also had these:
- Specific expertise areas that would be an asset to this role include: chemical biology, bioorthogonal chemistry, nucleic acid chemistry, protein biochemistry, investigation of nucleic acid binding proteins.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills is required for research presentations, SOP development, and publications
- Experience and enthusiasm for mentoring research trainees
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.