X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the Team:
Project Taara’s mission is expanding access to fast, affordable internet with beams of light. Using wireless optical communication (WOC) light propagates at high speed data (up to 20 Gbps) between two terminals up to 20km. The technology provides a rapid way of deploying fiber like connectivity avoiding the challenges of traditional fiber and Radio Frequency including; right-of way permits, licensing and interference.
The Taara Project is seeking a Senior Technical Program Manager (TPM) to drive our current deployment of this cutting-edge technology and support the next generation development.
About the Role:
The Technical Program Manager candidate requires expertise in taking technologies from concept to product. The TPM requires deep knowledge of network architecture and topology in the telecommunications space and experience managing network hardware through each stage of development including; design, qualification, deployment and scaling. This includes managing and coordinating the installation of hardware like network switches, routers, radio equipment, and fiber equipment (like GPON). The candidate will collaborate cross functionally with engineering, operations, manufacturing, deployment and the customer and requires strong communication and leadership skills.
The role requires a deep understanding of the telecommunication industry that involves middle mile and last mile connectivity. The candidate will apply this insight into integrating novel, new systems into the network ecosystem. Additionally the role requires organizing and coordinating the operational steps to successfully deploy our product. The position seeks highly-motivated individuals that enjoy working in a small dynamic team environment, with a passion for solving challenging problems that can lead to high-impact advances in technology.
How you will make an impact:
- Successful development and deployment of cutting-edge network equipment. This includes collaborating with the deployment operations and engineering team on site selections, proto and pilot deployment and system monitoring.
- Work closely with customers and business development team throughout the product lifecycle including; deploying new hardware, managing technical technical support and coordinating customer escalations.
- Development of scalable, in-house system visualization and monitoring tools and processes. Identify errors and provide debug or escalation to the appropriate engineering team.
- Knowledge of hardware development and manufacturing processes including experience working with Contract Manufacturers.
- Provide network and deployment insight for developing next generation technologies and roadmaps.
- Coordinate and provide insight into network equipment certifications and interoperability verification
- Motivated by making the world a better place through technology, and wanting to be part of a team that makes this happen
- Write shell scripts and/or Python scripts to automate repetitive tasks
What you should have:
- BS Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Computer Engineering or related field
- Ten (10) or more years relevant industry experience, Five (5) or more years of telecommunications experience
- Deep knowledge and hands-on experience with telecommunication hardware
- Extensive experience with Linux command line interface, shell scripts, Python scripts, crontab, and network configuration
- Fluency in networking fundamentals and communication protocols including TCP/IP, NAT, VPN, SNMP and gRPC
- Experience managing projects in Google Cloud Platform and familiarity with interconnecting public cloud and private networks
- Experience providing remote support using virtual network monitoring tools including Zabbix and Grafana
- Program management experience
It would be great if you also had these:
- Excellent communication and presentation skills (writing strategy docs, writing and delivering presentations), can work with senior external partners with ease
- Knowledge of commercial and business operations
- Experience in the wireless communications industry
- Experience leading teams
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $153,000 - $242,000 + bonus + equity + benefits. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your location during the hiring process.
Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.