X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
The Team: : X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory with a mission of inventing and launching “moonshot” technologies that we hope could someday make the world a radically better place. X projects have the potential to improve the lives of billions of people and accrue profits to Alphabet. For X to be successful, we have to repeatedly turn breakthrough-technology ideas into products that solve large problems in the world and create meaningful businesses for Alphabet.
This role would be part of an organization at X working to help with climate, sustainability and justice challenges. Most of the teams within this organization are focused on developing technology breakthroughs to help with climate change mitigation or adaptation — from direct carbon capture, to carbon sequestration, to severe weather event forecasting. We explore a wide field of opportunities when searching for decarbonization moonshots — from energy production and storage, to transport and logistics — because we know that this highly complex systems challenge requires us to approach the problem from multiple angles.
The Role: The Portfolio Lead is a Director-level position that will oversee, manage and cultivate a collection of early-stage projects focused on climate, sustainability and justice. This role will directly manage the Project Leads within their portfolio; mentor and coach around topics including commercial viability, technical de-risking and organizational elements. This Lead will step in as a builder and maker with the teams as needed and be willing to play a formal role on a project team should there be a gap.
Stellar candidates will have demonstrated strong leadership, influencing and communication skills. Having both startup experience during various stages of the company’s growth (or lifecycle) while also having an understanding around the complexities and nuances of operating within a large corporation will be critical. This role will take pride in building trust and credibility within teams, and providing solid people management support. In addition, this Lead should have a clear track-record of helping accelerate a potential product market fit and business strategy.
How you will make 10x Impact: : The Portfolio Manager will have responsibilities in a number of areas, including:
- De-risking projects. Specifically:
- Support Project Leads in developing and evolving project strategy, including offering definition / roadmap, team priorities, and go-to-market plans
- In partnership with your Project Leads, continuously align X, Alphabet, and/or partners to a shared project vision on an ongoing basis
- Working closely with X cross-functional teams and compliance (i.e., Finance, HR, Legal, Partnerships) to develop and maintain entrepreneurial and Alphabet-friendly solutions
- Owning and managing the P&L for the portfolio:
- Support Project Leads in developing new partnerships with the goal of accelerating tech development, identifying/validating customer demand, assessing commercial viability and ultimately generating early revenue
- Actively manage budgets, including making a recommendation on whether to keep or kill a project
- Advise on resourcing decisions across the portfolio
- Managing and developing project leads and teams within the portfolio
- Create an environment of psychological safety where everyone can thrive and continuously develop in order to increase agility and resilience
- Build and nurture equitable, diverse, inclusive teams in order to drive extraordinary results
- Act as a beacon of the X culture and hold yourself and others accountable in order to realize radical solutions
What you should have:
- Demonstrated ability to sell or create external partnerships around early-stage technology
- Demonstrated ability to influence at all levels of management and teams cross-functionally and externally and to earn and maintain ongoing trust
- Broad technical expertise
- Tenacity and sense of urgency; the ability to make things happen quickly; ability to thrive in a fast-paced, fluid and collaborative environment
- Comfort and experience with ambiguous, early-stage projects. Ability to create and grow ideas into viable businesses from the chaotic ground up
- Exceptional communication skills.
- Strong core skill set (e.g., technical, partnership, etc.), with an understanding, experience working with, and respect for other cross-functional organizations. Proven success building and managing cross-functional teams and/or project P&Ls a huge plus
- Flexibility, open-mindedness, collaborative approach, and a sense of humor!
- Exceptional ability to quickly pick up new technical topics from semiconductor manufacturing to marine biology-- we don’t know what will be in our portfolio next!
We believe every Xer should have a great manager. As a manager in this position, these are the expectations for our managers:
- [Psychological safety first] We can't build moonshots without a foundation of trust and respect. Create space for team members to be seen, heard, and understood.
- [Continuous development] Take the time to invest in yourself and those around you. Create an environment where team members are empowered to do the same for one another.
- [Build a team with intention] Assemble a diverse team of people who have the substance and stamina to reach the moon.
- [Mission is critical] Why are we here? What are we working towards? Get clear on the answers, and then make sure your team understands where you’re headed and how to get there together.
- [Nurture our culture] Be a role model of X’s values and champion creativity, passion, and play.
- [Be accountable] Everything at X is a team effort, but the buck stops with managers. Celebrate your team’s successes and own the failures. Taking responsibility earns respect.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.