X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
This role is hiring in Mountain View, CA , Austin, TX, Boulder, CO, and Pittsburgh, PA
Project Chorus is developing new sensors, software and machine learning tools to radically improve our real-time understanding of where physical goods are located, where they are needed, what state they are in, and how they are used.
As a software generalist, you will be critical in developing software for our moonshot. While you might not already have all required skills, you must be interested in learning what is required to be successful in this position. We're looking for a detail-oriented engineer eager to get their hands dirty, even in initially unfamiliar parts of the stack.
How you will make 10x impact:
- Design and implement full-stack solutions starting with our fleet of IoT devices and continuing to our data-processing backend
- Scale solutions to thousands of devices and massive data streams
- Work with both internal and external clients, both developers and cross-functional users, to dig into and tackle problems
What you should have:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related fields (e.g., Engineering, Mathematics)
- At least 2 years experience with software design and coding skills, such as Java/C/C++, including automated testing
- At least 2 years experience with either embedded or backend software development and willingness to learn the other.
- Familiarity with relational databases and SQL (any flavor). Familiarity with pub/sub, Spanner and BigQuery.
- Strong communication skills enabling you to interface with a highly cross-functional team, including engineering, manufacturing, operations, and vendors
- Deep interest in designing creative, robust, and thorough solutions
It’d be great if you also had some of these:
- Experience with scripting languages, such as Python
- Experience with cloud platforms like GCP or AWS
- Understanding of wireless protocols like BLE, Wifi & LTE
- Familiarity with ML and/or other data science applications
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.