X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the Team:
Modern agriculture faces an enormous array of challenges, as growers must produce more food on the same or smaller amounts of land, using fewer inputs, all while competing with unrelenting pressure from disease, pests, and a changing climate. Solving these problems demands radical new thinking.
We are building a novel platform for GIS data analysis at scale in order to answer questions like:
- Is a particular input responsible for a meaningful increase in yield?
- Can the frequency of an input applied be reduced without affecting yield?
- What is the contribution of different practices to agronomic, and environmental outcomes?
Our goal is to improve outcomes for and promote sustainable agriculture globally.
How you will make an impact:
- Designing and implementing a flexible architecture for GIS pipelines.
- Learning about remote sensing, especially as it applies to agriculture.
- Collaborating with other Mineral engineers to build a cohesive product and strategy.
What you should have:
- BA/BS degree (In lieu of degree, relevant skills or equivalent experience).
- Experience with Cloud infrastructure, e.g., Dataflow, Storage (GCS/S3), PubSub, etc.
It would be great if you also had these:
- Experience with ML frameworks for model training or inference.
- Experience with GIS libraries like GDAL, PROJ, GEOS, etc.
- Willing to work in a fast-paced, start-up-like environment. Fast learner who is able to think through and adapt to new problems quickly.
- Strong team player with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to operate across the full range of product development (from ideation to launch/scale).
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.