X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
THE FOUNDATION OF AN AMAZING JOURNEY
Our goal at X is to make the world a radically better place. In order to do that we seek fresh unexpected perspectives, from different fields, and that’s why we’re excited about you.
Life here isn’t easy, but it’s fun. We’re trying to build things most people can’t even imagine, and we’re doing it with the hope of making a huge, positive impact on the world. You’ll be embedded into a moonshot project, where you’ll partner with team members to solve key challenges.
This isn’t your ordinary internship. You’ll be positively challenged and pushed professionally, in ways that you may have never experienced. If this excites you - keep reading.
DURING YOUR INTERNSHIP YOU CAN EXPECT:
- To be placed on one of our confidential or public X projects
- To get paid competitively and with Google benefits
- To be part of a lively community of other Interns and Residents
- To addend colloquium and discussions with team leads from across Google, DeepMind and external organizations
- Location: X's headquarters in Mountain View, CA
- Start Date(s): Year-round rolling basis
- Duration: a flexible 4 mo. to 1 year program based on project team needs and your availability
- Must be enrolled in an academic program and working towards completing a PhD degree
WHAT YOU'LL BE WORKING ON:
- Help to design experiments to quickly investigate sensor modalities, control schemes, and modeling techniques.
- Implement machine learning pipelines for labeling, training, and testing of data sets
- Implement lightweight numerical models to predict physics based on sparse sensor data
- Analyze, tune and optimize model performance
- Conduct literature searches and identify promising novel technologies
- Work with the prototyping team to implement your algorithms in hardware
- Get your hands dirty and collect data
- Enrolled in a PhD program in machine learning, applied physics, or similar field
- Experience in deep learning (Tensorflow preferred)
- Experience in image processing
- Experience in numerical modeling
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to self organize and work on ambiguous problems
- A passion to bring better food to more people
- Experience with mechatronics and electronics
- Background in applied physics or thermodynamics
- Ability to work and thrive on a small team in a fast-paced environment e.g. comfortable with ambiguity/shifting priorities
- Team player with humility, a sense of humor, and the ability to exercise good judgment in a rapidly changing and fast paced environment
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.