X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the team:
Tidal is a team at X working on a moonshot to protect the ocean and preserve its ability to support life and help feed humanity, sustainably. Our initial area of focus is on developing hardware and software technologies that bring greater visibility and understanding of what’s happening under the water. Learn more about Project Tidal.
About the role:
This role is a 6 months contract. This is an opportunity to be a foundational member of the product and design team for an early stage product innovating quickly at the intersection of science and engineering. We are working to push the boundaries of what is possible in a rapidly evolving field. There is ample space to define and shape usability and design for our users and products. You’ll need to identify areas of opportunities and help drive the ethos we seek into the products that will transform this space.
As a User Interaction and Experience Designer, you'll drive the design of Tidal products. You'll be responsible to shape the product design strategy and execute on the finer details. You'll solve problems that intersect software, hardware, web and mobile apps, and collaborate with stakeholders across teams to change the future of ocean innovation.
User experience is at the forefront of how we create intuitive, innovative, and beautiful products that people love. We strive to learn and understand our users’ needs, behaviors, and emotions to gather insights that inform product strategy and design. Our goal is to solve for quality, usability, and simplicity. We work on collaborative teams to solve complex challenges and craft experiences that highlight our products’ unique capabilities and personalities.
How you will make 10x impact:
- Define and communicate product design strategy, vision, and guiding principles to team members, cross-functional peers, and stakeholders.
- Explore divergent design solutions and develop interaction flows, high-fidelity mocks, and device-specific prototypes.
- Clearly rationalize and justify design work and advocate for users’ needs.
- Deliver the designs for each release by following through on details with the engineering team and driving polished fit-and-finish
- Align with product design approach where required with any Tidal corporate branding and design efforts
- Leverage any existing open sourced Alphabet design system or framework with modifications as needed to drive leverage and speed
What you should have:
We’re looking for an experienced UX designer with demonstrated talent for creativity, hands on execution and strategic thinking. Experience bridging software engineering with hardware, sciences, robotics, or other domains is a plus. Our ideal candidate has experience in research environments and early product development (zero to one) experience.
- 6-8 years of experience in UX Design.
- Experience working with multidisciplinary teams of Designers, Researchers, Engineers, and Product Managers throughout the design process (i.e. creating user flows and wireframes to building user interface mockups and prototypes, facilitating workshops cross-functionally)
- Experience in designing data and analytics, developer tools, enterprise, or similar products
- Strong technical knowledge and foundation in AI/ML and SaaS capabilities and prior experience in productizing research outcomes by and through building out user journeys
- Any experience in ag or ocean tech would be beneficial but not mandatory
- Startup experience, or equivalent experience on early stage teams
- Experience navigating ambiguity cross-functionally and across organization to ship successful features
- Experience partnering with UX Research when available to amplify research and design impact.
- Excellent problem-solving, communication, and collaboration skills.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.