X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the team:
X has an early stage project working to accelerate the path to affordable fusion power, leveraging Alphabet software tools and an iteration-driven experimental design philosophy. Core activities will involve building, testing, measuring, troubleshooting, and maintaining high voltage pulsed power systems and associated electronics, electro-mechanical, and computer/control systems. Your engineering, scientific, and creative skills will play a critical role in advancing these efforts, and will complement the physics, pulsed power, mechanical engineering, and simulation capabilities of our team.
How you will make 10x impact:
- Assemble and modify pulsed power equipment and subsystems, and fabricate and assemble closed loop fluid systems and cable/chassis for instrument wiring.
- Install pulsed power equipment, cables and wiring, general facility preparation and documentation, and experimental setup including start-up and shut-down activities.
- Troubleshoot, repair, maintain, and evaluate pulsed power equipment, or systems such as high-voltage power supplies, current and voltage instrumentation, pumps, pressurized gas systems, vacuum systems, control and interlock circuits, and other test equipment.
- Facility operation, in addition to such tasks as setup, preparation of operational procedures, data collection and system health monitoring, and data analysis.
- Independently deploy, fabricate, troubleshoot, assemble, and disassemble complex electronic and/or photonics components and systems.
- Assist in developing test parameters, troubleshooting and testing materials, components, or systems, identifying problems, and providing input on solutions.
- Assign and explain tasks to less experienced technicians, inspect work for conformance with specifications, promote the smooth flow of work by the group, and record information on work performed.
- Operation of lifting fixtures and hardware, including mechanical lifting and cranes.
- Write job orders for installations, work with vendors and prepare purchase requisitions, document system details, prepare simple cost estimates or assist the professional staff with cost analysis.
- Contribute to key operations documentation such as standard operating procedures and other work control documents.
What you should have:
- Education/Experience: Bachelor’s degree in Engineering Technology, Science, Engineering, or related degree from an accredited institution and 2 years related experience; or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Experience troubleshooting high voltage systems/equipment and vacuum/pressure systems and equipment.
- Intermediate skills and experience in moderately complex electronic and/or photonics troubleshooting and assembly, and capable of maintaining and providing general technical support for such systems.
- Intermediate knowledge of engineering hardware testing processes.
- Experience operating common machine shop equipment such as drill presses, lathes, and milling equipment.
- Experience in safe work and business practices.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, feedback, and presentation skills, and experience with Google Workspace, MS Office, or equivalent.
- Experience working on a multi-disciplinary team, and ability and willingness to work in a fast-paced environment across a broad and variable range of tasks.
- Willing to work in-person at our test facility and X’s headquarters in the SF Bay Area.
- Excitement for tackling the massive global need for clean energy.
It’d be great if you also had these:
- Minimum four years of work experience in performing troubleshooting, repair, and calibration of complex pulsed power systems.
- Working knowledge of common electrical diagnostic equipment including multimeters and hi-pot testers.
- Experience with data acquisition using oscilloscopes and/or data acquisition software.
- Experience operating helium leak detectors or leak testing pressure systems.
- Experience operating heavy equipment including forklifts and overhead cranes.
- Advanced understanding of electronic and/or photonics technology and experience working on a technical project team, providing technical direction to others.
- Advanced technical skills and knowledge of engineering principles to solve complex problems, and ability to make basic engineering calculations relevant to component, circuit, instrument, or system design.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate in technical terms with engineers and scientists and to instruct and direct the work of others.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.