X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the Team:
We're an early stage team at X with a growing, interdisciplinary portfolio. To prove our path to the moon, we make early contact with the real world through both internal and external partnerships.
About the Role:
You will be an active hands-on engineer on the project. While Machine Learning expertise is critical for this role, you will also be helping to implement our data engineering pipeline and backend infrastructure. We are looking for passionate and driven people, who are comfortable moving between creative, big-picture thinking and tactical execution in a fast-paced, fluid environment.
How you will make 10x impact:
- Help formulate key decisions on software architecture and our technology roadmap: balancing longevity with rapid prototyping; assess and scope technical feasibility of possible new products.
- Develop modeling techniques for geospatial applications where ML can transform understanding of intractable problems.
- Acquire and prepare data for use in ML simulations
- Design and run ML experiments for environmental phenomena such as wildfires.
- Fetch and pre-process geospatial and multimodal data in a highly parallel environment.
- Create and maintain Google Cloud-based infrastructure for software development and high-volume production systems.
- Present findings to team members, internal and external stakeholders, and help set a direction for future development.
What you should have:
- Software engineer experience and experience with machine learning systems, algorithms or applications such as: deep learning and computer vision.
- Experience with Google Earth Engine and functional programming.
- Experience building end-to-end ML data pipelines, including data collection, model development, evaluation, deployment and monitoring.
- Experience with open source tools such as: Git, TensorFlow, Apache Beam/Dataflow, Google Compute Engine.
- Master's degree or PhD in a STEM field such as CS, Physics, Chemistry, Earth Sciences, or Mathematics/Statistics.
- Experienced iterating on existing ML models and dictating data engineering processes.
- Experience with one or more general purpose programming languages, including but not limited to: Python
- An ability to thrive in unstructured work environments with rapidly changing requirements.
It’d be great if you also had these:
- Demonstrated personal passion to apply talents towards solving big global problems.
- Startup / early product development experience.
- Excellent at prioritization and time management.
- Solid written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with using ML on image time series data / video data.
- Experience with tiffs and tiff projections into physical spaces (aka GeoTiff).
- Openness to working across the stack - data pipelines to ML models to UI.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.