X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
We are a team working to rapidly decarbonize the electric grid. Our mission is to help create a shared understanding of what is happening on the grid for everyone who is involved in building, managing and using it.
This User Experience Lead Designer role will be involved in all aspects of design, from early user interviews and need-finding, through concept prototyping and pixel-level specification.
How you will make 10x impact:
- Designing interfaces, mapping out user journeys, creating visual assets, brainstorming in a large group, or prototyping interactions.
- Experience working alongside Software Engineers and Product Managers.
- Conduct user research and/or run client-facing workshops, envisioning how people should interact with a variety of breakthrough energy-related technologies
- Support the design of multiple products while collaborating with a small cross-functional team
- Translate requirements into designs quickly
- Operate with a high degree of autonomy when necessary, balancing multiple needs
What you should have:
- BA or BS in human-computer interaction, design or a related field (in lieu of degree, 4 years relevant work experience)
- 4 years working as a User Experience Designer, preferably in a leadership-related role
- 2+ years of experience using Figma or Sketch is required (Figma preferred)
- Proven track record of supporting several phases of product development
- Strong interaction and information architecture skills, combined with visual design skills
- Experience working on enterprise and/or high complexity software projects
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Ability to execute and iterate quickly with ever-changing problem sets and environments
It’d be great if you also had these:
- Demonstrated knowledge and passion for the energy sector and sustainability
- Experience and/or interest in geo mapping and data visualization
- Experience conducting user research or running client-facing workshops
- Familiarity with Material design patterns for desktop experiences
- Experience working in a fast paced environment and juggling different design requests
- Ability to propose, prioritize and advocate for functionality
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.