X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the team:
X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory where uncomfortably ambitious, world-changing ideas are developed and taken out into the world. X projects have the potential to transform the lives of billions of people and make the world a radically better place. For X to be successful, we have to repeatedly turn breakthrough technology ideas into products that solve large problems in the world, and create meaningful businesses for Alphabet.
Pathfinder is an experimental portfolio inside X designed to generate world-changing moonshots by expanding geographic inspiration and fully embodying X’s value. “By the World, for the World”, Pathfinder projects are global, inclusive, passionate, and fearless. They span the maturity lifecycle from early ideas to scaling businesses and aim to scale impact through profit by disrupting market dynamics through technology differentiated user experiences.
About the role:
As Strategy & Operations Director for the Pathfinder portfolio, you will partner across the Moonshot Factory to build a new portfolio of world-changing moonshots. Partnering with the X Leadership Executive, you will craft the portfolio strategy and architect the business cadence, processes, and operations of the portfolio to execute on it. This role will consult on project strategy for technical derisking and achieving commercial viability, and, as needed, step in to fill a formal role on a project to achieve new learnings. You will deeply embody X’s values (audacity, initiative, learning, teamwork, creativity) and take pride in building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive culture and team.
How you will make 10x impact:
- Develop portfolio strategy and run operations to maximize project learning
- Partner with X Leadership executive to develop the Pathfinder portfolio strategy and evolve over time
- Architect and run the portfolio business cadence, processes, and operations to improve execution and maximize project learning
- Dispassionately assess projects and ideas in the portfolio to recommend invest or kill decisions. Actively manage portfolio budget and advice on resourcing decisions
- Be recognized across The Factory as a leader and an authority on the Pathfinder portfolio
- Generate and de-risk project ideas
- Co-navigate and advise projects in developing project strategies including roadmaps, priorities, resourcing, and go-to-market strategies.
- Participate and lead new idea scouting including developing external partnerships
- Take initiative to fill formal roles on projects when gaps are identified, including leading projects if necessary.
- Embody X’s values, bringing a diverse, inclusive perspective to everything you do
- Build and nurture equitable, diverse, inclusive culture and team in order to drive extraordinary results
- Act as a beacon of the X culture and hold yourself and others accountable in order to realize radical solutions
- Work closely with X cross-functional teams and compliance (i.e., Finance, HR, Legal, Partnerships) to develop and maintain entrepreneurial and Alphabet-friendly solutions
What you should have:
- BS degree or equivalent practical experience
- 15+ years of experience developing, implementing and scaling complex operational initiatives within a technically complex environment.
- Demonstrated success operating in a fast-paced, ambiguous, start-up-like environment such as tech, economic development, consulting or similar with minimal hands-on oversight.
- Excellent business acumen, written, and oral communication and interpersonal skills - with experience interacting with senior-level executives.
It’d be great if you also had these:
- A passion for high-impact, early-stage projects in a startup-like environment
- Superior analytical skills, combined with impeccable business judgment and ability to communicate effectively with senior management
- Experience in management consulting, investment banking, organizational design, corporate strategy, or equivalent project management experience in a technology/media or cloud company.
- Demonstrated track record of cross-functional stakeholder management and leadership through influence.
- Demonstrate outstanding critical thinking, presentation, and decision making skills with excellent communication, interpersonal and problem-solving skills
- Proven ability to foster an inclusive environment supporting diversity initiatives across teams.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.