X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the team:
Modern agriculture faces an enormous array of challenges, as growers must produce more food on the same or smaller amounts of land, using fewer inputs, all while competing with unrelenting pressure from disease, pests, and a changing climate. Solving these problems demands radical new thinking.
We are looking for a Data Scientist to join our growing team to address problems in computational agriculture. You should have the potential to be an exceptional team member, and have relevant skills to contribute. If you’re creative, collaborative, committed to our mission and think you can help us, let us know!
How you will make an impact:
- Work with agronomic crop trait and yield data - from evaluation and visualization to modeling and insight
- Apply statistics and machine learning modeling to fulfill broad data analysis needs that guide decision making with cross-function internal & external facing teams
- Collaborating with partners in Engineering and Product to iteratively improve models by exploring model architecture, feature engineering, data augmentation and retraining
- Be curious, creative, collaborative and independent, and willing to take it into the field to assess real world model performance
What you should have:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience
- 3 years of software development experience, or 1 year with a relevant advanced degree
- Experience with statistical & machine learning systems, algorithms or applications such as: signal processing, time-series analysis, spatial statistics, deep learning, optimization, sensitivity analysis
- Experience implementing supervised & unsupervised methods in Python / R along with SQL and machine learning frameworks
- Desire to work in a fast-paced, start-up like environment as part of a diverse & nimble team. No task is too big or too small!
It would be great if you also had these:
- Experience working with Google Earth Engine APIs, and/or remote sensing modeling
- Hands on experience in agriculture
- Ability to tell a story using data with compelling visualizations
- Prior experience living abroad and/or with an international background, speaks 2+ languages.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.