X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the team:
We are a team working to rapidly decarbonize the electric grid. Our mission is to help create a shared understanding of what is happening on the grid for everyone who is involved in building, managing and using it.
About the role:
As a lead backend software engineer you will work across the entire stack, helping the team to design and implement scalable, high performance application backend and infrastructure. You will work with amazing and talented people, who work on highly creative and ambitious efforts. You will work closely with other software engineers, machine learning experts, domain experts and product managers to plan, coordinate and integrate your work.
How you will make 10X Impact:
- Drive the technologies and product development for energy domain data ingestion, storage, and services from different sources.
- Rapidly develop prototypes to evaluate feasibility.
- Own and build the end-to-end software system.
- Work effectively with cross-functional teams of engineers, scientists, and domain experts
- Design and implement robust, production-level software using horizontally scalable components to support building enterprise class applications.
What you should have:
- BS/MS in EE, CS, or equivalent practical experience
- 7 years of experience building and delivering large, complex software systems and applications.
- Experience designing schemas, data modeling and processing.
- Experience building high performance APIs and serving systems using SQL, NoSQL, graph oriented databases, and indexing engines.
- Experience with publish/subscribe and real-time message processing systems and pipelines.
- Experience working with Cloud Technologies, including Docker and Kubernetes.
- Experience with one or more of OpenAPI, gRPC, Protocol Buffer and Spring Boot.
It’d be great if you also had these:
- Experience working with RDF-based ontologies and data.
- Experience with Time Series database technologies.
- Experience with Source Code Management concepts, including branching, versioning, diffing and merging.
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in ambiguity, setting own goals and effectively delivering in a very fast-changing environment.
- Ability to work in a small team / rapid prototyping environment.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.