X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
THE FOUNDATION OF AN AMAZING JOURNEY
Our goal at X is to make the world a radically better place. In order to do that we seek fresh unexpected perspectives, from different fields, and that’s why we’re excited about you.
Life here isn’t easy, but it’s fun. We’re trying to build things most people can’t even imagine, and we’re doing it with the hope of making a huge, positive impact on the world. You’ll be embedded into a moonshot project, where you’ll partner with team members to solve key challenges.
This isn’t your ordinary internship. You’ll be positively challenged and pushed professionally, in ways that you may have never experienced. If this excites you - keep reading.
DURING YOUR INTERNSHIP YOU CAN EXPECT:
- To be placed on one of our confidential or public X projects
- To get paid competitively and with Google benefits
- To be part of a lively community of other Interns and Residents
- To addend colloquium and discussions with team leads from across Google, DeepMind and external organizations
- Location: X's headquarters in Mountain View, CA
- Start Date(s): Year-round rolling basis
- Duration: a flexible 4 mo. to 1 year program based on project team needs and your availability
- Must be enrolled in an academic program and working towards completing a PhD degree
WHAT YOU'LL BE WORKING ON:
- You will collaborate with physicists and hardware engineers, applying large-scale simulation and optimization techniques to help design computer chips. Your responsibilities include one or more of the following:
- Experiment with partial differential equation solvers to model the parasitics and other properties of metal interconnects.
- Apply methods from computational geometry to manipulate unstructured meshes and other geometric primitives.
- Analyze numerical properties, accelerate code on CPUs and GPUs, and scale physics solvers on distributed systems.
- Learn about the Moonshot Factory, attending colloquiums and tech talks
- Engage with the internship community and have fun!
- Currently enrolled in a PhD program in a STEM field such as Physics, Computer Science or Mathematics with a strong interest in partial differential equations or computational geometry.
- Experience with a low-level programming language such as C/C++.
- Experience developing algorithms related to unstructured meshes or geometric objects in 3D.
- Basic understanding of electronics and the physics of digital circuits.
- Experience with the Julia programming language.
- Experience writing solvers for partial differential equations.
- Experience with low-level code optimization for CPUs and GPUs.
- Experience developing for distributed systems such as high-performance computing clusters or cloud environments.
- Demonstration of relevant skills in scientific journal publications, conference submissions, open source projects or similar.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.