X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
We're an early stage team at X with a growing, interdisciplinary portfolio. To prove our path to the moon, we make early contact with the real world through both internal and external partnerships.
This is an opportunity to come in at the ground level and help manage mission critical workstreams for an early stage team innovating quickly at the intersection of machine learning and large scale orchestration. You’ll need to work with product management, engineering, business development and partner teams to identify the opportunities, allocate resources, foresee and overcome the risks and blockers, and build the products that transform this space.
How you will make 10x Impact:
You will be working across multiple functions spanning the entire ML and SW stack, to define, build, and optimize; focusing on rapid learning and execution. You will ensure schedules, commitments and priorities are aligned across SW, ML, Product and Partner teams.
In this role you will be directly involved with shaping and driving our multi-year roadmap for a high impact early stage moonshot. Specifically you will:
- Lead highly complex cross functional machine learning, business and software projects. Collaborate with researchers, engineering managers and engineers across both ML & SW, estimate work efforts, define milestones and manage resources
- Drive end to end project outcomes, track progress, resolve dependencies, manage risks and communicate status to upper management and project stakeholders.
- Engage and energize the project teams to achieve aggressive goals across multiple workstreams, organizations and timezones
- Proactively remove obstacles to drive momentum and progress. Identify communication gaps, manage issue escalations and provide support to teams balancing competing priorities. Drive results proactively.
- Understand technical implementation at the architecture level and propose technical alternatives when necessary. Ask questions that clarify priorities and push the team to be highly effective. Develop broad domain and technical knowledge.
- Establish new processes, identify systemic problems and recommend and implement solutions.
- Partner with the project lead to set up strategy, plan and manage our multi-year roadmaps
- Will translate internal product goals into product requirements and will translate a product requirements doc into technical requirements that the engineering teams can execute against.
What you should have:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent practical experience
- 5+ years of experience in technical program management
- Experience in technical leadership, leading project teams, and developing technical roadmaps
- Experience working on machine learning and full stack software development
- Experience with product management and product lifecycle
It would be great if you also had these:
- A passion for high impact early stage projects and rapid iteration in a startup like environment
- Hands on engineering experience
- Ability to think strategically and execute methodically. Communicate and influence with multiple levels including executive leadership, partners, managers, and engineers to develop strategic relationships and drive execution effectively
- Ability to work through ambiguity to detailed solutions. You can take a vague problem, crisply frame the challenge, identify a path forward, and drive an initiative over the finish-line
- Ability to work effectively with highly technical engineering and research teams, with a great track record
- Experiences in developing process where little exists, but demonstrated flexibility to get things done
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.