X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory. We are a diverse group of inventors and entrepreneurs who build and launch technologies that aim to improve the lives of millions, even billions, of people. Our goal: 10x impact on the world’s most intractable problems, not just 10% improvement. We approach projects that have the aspiration and riskiness of research with the speed and ambition of a startup.
About the Team:
Project Taara is focused on delivering high-throughput and long-range connectivity via free-space optical communication (FSOC) links that uses light (eye-safe lasers) propagating between two terminals to wirelessly transmit high speed data (upto 20 Gbps). It can connect two points up to 10 km apart and has a few unique advantages over traditional fiber:
- Avoids challenges associated with trenching or securing permitting rights
- Costs a fraction of what it would to deploy underground cables & can be installed in a few hours
- Operates in the unlicensed spectrum and, therefore, bypasses licensing fees; it is also immune to interference issues that other unlicensed alternatives face
Project Taara is seeking a Photonics Integrated Circuit Lead leading the next generation photonic integrated circuit design as part of the R&D team developing cutting-edge wireless optical communication systems.
About the Role:
The successful candidate will lead the photonics integrated circuit development from concept to product. The responsibilities require deep knowledge in photonic integrated circuit design, simulation and testing. The position seeks highly-motivated individuals that enjoy working in a small dynamic team environment, with a passion for solving challenging problems that can lead to high-impact advances in technology.
How you will make an impact:
- Develop, in collaboration with other leads, a comprehensive roadmap for on-chip-integration of wireless optical communications products towards 100x improvements to cost and scale relative to the state of the art.
- Deep knowledge in design, simulation and layout of photonics integrated circuits including custom transceivers, multiplexers and demultiplexers.
- Support identifying and managing key fabrication, test and packaging vendors.
- Responsible for design-process development, managing new product introduction for technology, and leading foundry process bring-up.
- Set strategy for packaging and assembly planning and engagements for complex photonic assemblies integrated with optics, electronics and thermal management.
- Plan and track technology and foundry roadmaps to determine appropriate technology strategies.
- Motivated by making the world a better place through technology, and wanting to be part of a team that makes this happen.
- Mentor and coach other team members with regards to process technology.
What you should have:
- Master of Science in Silicon Photonics, Electrical Engineering or related field
- 5+ years of relevant industry experience in photonics integrated circuit design
- Experience in Python, test automation scripting and simulation software (Lumerical or comparable mode and maxwell solver simulation)
- Experience with optimization of photonic components including inverse design
- Deep experience engaging with wafer foundries, including PDK, design collateral integration and debug, foundation libraries design rules and layout design trends
- Experience in advancing product through prototype to final production stage at high volume
It would be great if you also had these:
- Ph.D. in Silicon Photonics
- Excellent communication and presentation skills (writing strategy docs, writing and delivering presentations), can work with senior external partners with ease
- Hands-on expertise evaluating photonic components and modules. Includes knowledge of measuring optical beam quality, high speed communication characterization and aligning bare die
- Experience leading teams
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.